Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Part A, Rack B, and the Star Wheel

I've had some requests to show closely what shape these 2 parts are in, as they may be a factor in my frustration with the pitmen hitting the floor and having to push the beater against the shafts in order to move to the next pick. Here is the rack in the down position, when the beater is back:


And here is the rack in the up position, when the beater is forward:



The rack B and the part A that presses it against the star wheel just right of it, and the star wheel itself, all look to me like they're in great shape. I do think the top star-wheel-side flare of the rack could be a little thicker, and that would allow the mechanism to move to the next pick more easily. But it really appears to have been cast the way it is, not worn down.



I tried taping a bit of cardstock to the rack there (above the opening), and it might have helped, but it's hard to tell. Something thicker would give a better indication, but I'm drawing a blank on what to try that will hold up to the strain. Maybe if I could find a piece of copper sheet from my printmaking or jewelry class days. Then I'd have to figure out how to hold it in place, too.

Or I could just beat the crap out of shaft 1 when I weave.



4 comments:

  1. Hello Laura,
    I don't know much about restoring lables, but have you tried some book making glue? It usually dries clear and is PH neutral. Also I have heard beeswax is a good wood finisher conditions and protects--I don't know if that would work on the loom though. This is a very interesting project you have taken on! Ann S. from Colorado :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the relationship of ' A ' to ' B ' is very 'tricky' and critical, since adequate pressure must hold them in a position that the star-gear ( H ) will be turned by the rack ( B ) to advance harnesses to their next proper order.
    A 'limbo' situation can result if it does not.

    I designed and built a couple devises that offers some assistance to this function and wanted to send a couple pix, but find no way to do this in your posting procedure. Advise if interested.I'm not suggesting anyone go thru this, only indicating the 'critical-relationship!!! Part ( A ) must be held ' FIRM ' in the ' proper-pressure-position ' to result in a GOOD-RACK-FUNCTION !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ann. I will look into bookmaking glue. I have used wax on the shuttles & race. I hear I should use Johnson's paste wax because it's hard, but I couldn't find mine so I used candle wax. It seems to work for now.
    Thanks for the help!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou, I would love to learn more about the stuff you've figured out regarding the relationship of these parts. Please contact me at maccary@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete