Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Cleaning Heddles

I got up the courage to try cleaning the heddles in a vinegar soak. I was nervous because I know vinegar can accellerate rust if any is left on. But it's an acid, which means it can clean rust off as well. And it really works!

I soaked the first batch of heddles for a couple hours, then washed repeatedly with liquid castile soap (which is what I have next to the laundry room sink), until they seemed clean. The rinse water looked awful. The vinegar is rust-colored. The heddles are a lot cleaner. I am doing them one shaft's worth at a time. I have 2 done and a third soaking now.

Here is a pic of a rusty batch (top) and a batch just finished (bottom). It's hard to see the difference in this pic, but they are pretty different. There's still some rust on the finished batch, but a lot less, and it's not enough to rub off onto the warp yarns:


Once they are clean & dry, I have been spraying a small amount of the Tri-Flow on them, working it in (while wearing rubber gloves), and then rubbing them down with paper towels to remove all I can. That should leave a thin film that will prevent rust and allow them to move freely on the rails.

Thanks to Annie for suggesting the vinegar soak!

3 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you are enjoying it because it seems like an awful lot of work! Very satisfying though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like a lot of work! But I only have to do it once. I keep telling myself that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO very much! I would like to follow your blog but I have no idea how to do that. I am new to this type of blog.

    I just bought an antique Newcomb Studio Loom and the heddles are extremely rusty. As I really cannot afford to buy a slew of new heddles at this time, I believe I can afford to try this. It sure is with a shot! If I buy them I am going to hold out for the texsolve ones.

    I am familiar with looms and weaving, but it has been a while. As I was taking various parts off (and YES, I did take tons of pictures just to make sure I didn't forget where where everything went, just in case I get sidetracked in restoring it) I tried to recall the names of the parts... And as a test I looked them up and sure enough, my memory has served very well... I got them all right!!! :)

    Again, thank you! I look forward to looking at your page again.

    ReplyDelete