Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Poetry in Motion, and Sampling

At last, the video I've been promising! Here is the Weaver's Delight in motion (972 K):


Ain't she a beaut!

I wonder if I'd seen a video like this before I bought the loom, would I have been more intrigued, or more intimidated?


In the end I'm glad I bought it, it's been a blast and it really seems like a versatile loom. After I try some rugs I will then try some fine wool cloth. That will be much later, I put 10 yards of rug warp on!
And here is a little bit of sampling I've been doing:


I wove quite a bit in the twill that the loom came set up to do. Mostly I used brown & blue carpet warp, but also a few rag strips. I know, this is way too dark to really see, more of an "art" shot. Then I changed to plain weave cams.

Here is what the change from the 2/2 twill cams to plain weave cams looks like:


You can see the "bricks" style pattern in the top & middle of the piece, and a more vague vertical stripe pattern, resulting from using the twill cams, below that. That top purple bit is some fuzzy fleece. The blue below it is 8/4 carpet warp, it's narrower than the rags so it results in more of a stripe pattern. The pink/cream stuff below that is some scrap fabric. I sewed 2 panels together to try to get a pick-and-pick alternating weft colors effect. The 2 fabrics are far too close in value for any contrast to show up.

2 comments:

  1. ATTA GAL, LAURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    We are so proud of your choice of W/D, and then how are runn'n for your GOALS, like a scared-rabbit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and every piece-of-iron-that-came-with-it, YAH, THAT'S SATISFACTION, GO!-GO!-GO!

    That vidio is so GREAT, and that loom is CRUZZNN!!!!

    ReplyDelete